Church History

Today`s St. Mary`s is a worshipping community which seeks to nurture people in faith, encourage their encounter with the living God in prayer, and serve the needs of the wider community through practical engagement.

As the Parish Church of Lymm it has borne witness to the Christian faith for over a thousand years, and is the fourth church on this site. A Saxon church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. A Norman church replaced the original building, while a third church was built probably in the first part of the fourteenth-century. The present church was extensively re-built in 1851.

Generations of people have made St. Mary`s the base for their own spiritual journey. We welcome everyone who would like to do so today.

Further information about the history of the buildings can be found here.